You don’t even know that person. You know, the one who is unable to move forward or do anything substantial. That person is a stranger. And, that is the person who is creatively blocked. Not you.
I’ve been there. Many times. Here’s how I got rid of the stranger.
But first, while you may feel stuck, let me encourage you with a few thoughts:
1. You are unique created.
2. You have ideas that no one else has.
3. You can say and do things in a way that no one else can.
4. The only person who may not recognize these facts is you.
With that said, the stranger visits me regularly. I become him when I sit down to do anything important. He doesn’t say much. He’s just a black hole of ideas. A downer.
Here is how I have gotten rid of that stranger so far, and what I might recommend to you:
1. Get to know you again. Chances are…. you’ve forgotten. If you can’t remember, ask your friends.
2. Forget yourself, and build someone else a platform. You’ll be inspired. And you’ll have a friend.
3. Learn to love the blank sheet of paper. This may be the best invention of all!
4. Kill the need for instant gratification or it will kill you.
5. Learn to enjoy cutting the grass. Or something like it. I promise.
Enjoy being you. The stranger will go away. You’ll feel unblocked. You’ll do amazing things. Be encouraged and inspired by your uniqueness. And seriously, enjoy cutting the grass.